“Yukoners elected us in 2016 because they wanted a change after years of stagnation, divisiveness, and poor planning. We have dramatically improved mental health supports for Yukoners, repaired relationships with Yukon First Nations, and developed comprehensive plans to improve healthcare, address climate change, and build a strong, resilient future for the benefit of all Yukoners,” said Leader Sandy Silver. “We recognize that there is more work to do. Our team is ready to continue serving Yukoners and take action to make their lives healthier, happier and more affordable. Let’s keep going.”
The Yukon Liberals are asking for Yukoners’ support for another mandate in the 2021 territorial election. The Liberals stand on a strong track record of accomplishments over the past four and a half years and have delivered on their commitments and improved the lives of Yukoners.
The Liberals won the 2016 election by committing to listen to Yukoners and identified over 130 policy initiatives in their platform.
Out of 134 policy commitments, 124 have been completed or are underway – a full 93%. Major commitments delivered on include:
- Accepting the Final Recommended Peel Watershed Land Use Plan
- A moratorium on fracking in the Yukon
- Revitalizing the Yukon Forum and holding quarterly meetings with Yukon First Nations Chiefs
- Establishing National Aboriginal Day as a statutory holiday
- Eliminating the small business tax
- Reducing the corporate tax rate
- Increasing the Business Investment Tax Credit
- Paving the Dawson City Airport runway
- Starting construction of the Dempster Fibre line project
- Developing a Climate Change strategy with greenhouse gas reduction targets
- Rebating 100% of the federal government’s carbon pricing to Yukoners
- Regulating midwifery
- Building the new French First Language High School
- Restarting the Dawson Land Use Planning Process
- Supporting Yukon College’s transition to Yukon University
- Expanding mental health resources throughout the territory
In response to COVID-19, the Liberals also introduced over $107 million for comprehensive social and economic support programs to help Yukoners and Yukon businesses. The Yukon Liberals’ strong leadership kept Yukoners safe throughout the pandemic. They have allowed the territory to continue experiencing GDP growth along with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.
Do you like this post?