“Climate change is one of the most important issues facing our world today and the Yukon is front and centre when it comes to the impacts of a changing climate. Our Liberal team is committed to continuing our work to mitigate and adapt to climate change. These are also concrete steps to protect the Yukon’s environment.”
- Paolo Gallina, Yukon Liberal Candidate for Porter Creek Centre
The Yukon Liberal Party is committed to protecting Yukon’s environment and taking real action on the climate crisis. By taking real action, the Liberals will make sure fragile ecosystems are protected, the land planning process continues to move forward, and Yukoners can enjoy our pristine wilderness safely and respectfully.
Balancing the environment and the economy has not always been at the forefront of government decision making.
A lot has been accomplished and there is more to be done. A re-elected Yukon Liberal government will:
- continue to take action by developing both species at risk and animal protection legislation to ensure that the Yukon’s wildlife and animal populations are adequately protected;
- continue the fracking ban in the Yukon;
- work with Yukon University to consider the development of a building science program tailored to northern climates;
- partner with the City of Whitehorse to improve public transit;
- create recreation infrastructure across the Yukon in an ecologically sensitive way for both motorized and non-motorized vehicles;
- complete the wetlands strategy within the first year of our mandate;
- include carbon intensity targets for mines and large industrial projects, and;
- introduce legislation for the development of geothermal projects.
Do you like this post?